The Find. Love. Train. Potty Training Guide
Potty training should be a top priority as it tends to be the deciding factor in your dog’s quality of life. With a little time, patience, and planning, this can be a relatively simple and painless process. Our Find. Love. Train. Potty Training Guide provides a positive plan of action that will deliver quick results.
Effective potty training is critical for puppies. At an early age, dogs learn quickly, and it is more challenging for a dog to unlearn a behavior or habit than it is to learn good habits in the first place. Most dogs want to please their owners and live in harmony, so be patient and be consistent!
Find. Love. Train. Basic Truths
Before we get started, it is important to review the core tenets of the Find. Love. Train. philosophy. (Stick with us and you’ll see these again and again!)
- Accept responsibility for the success or failure during training. Never blame your dog for accidents. It is up to you to be watchful and to prevent mistakes.
- Be patient. Dogs do not know what you want them to do, you have to teach them.
- Train 24 hours a day and stay consistent. Dogs learn through repetition, and any behavior that is rewarded will be repeated. The more you practice the faster that you will set the behaviors
- Use fairness in all things. If your dog does not understand what you want, you have no right to correct him. Show him what you want, and praise the right behavior.
- Be positive. Every time you interact with your dog it is learning something — whether it is negative or positive is up to you.
- Practice attention lessons and commands. If your dog is not paying attention he can’t learn.